Antivirus for Fedora 14

jdow jdow at earthlink.net
Sat May 21 00:24:53 UTC 2011

On 2011/05/20 07:55, Alan Cox wrote:

>> There is no real requirement for anti-virus on Linux,
>> just keep your system updated from approved channels.
>> Keep an eye on your logs for anything fishy
>
> chkrootkit can also be handy

I keep remembering all my Apploid friends who told me flat out that
OSx is immune to malware so there is no need for an AV. The malware
people are now targeting Apple products as they are big enough to
be worth it now. Apple releases batches of security patches now. And
even iOS is prone to sicknesses which Apple WILL NOT fix.

Once the virus writers seriously target Linux something proactive will
be a good idea. Bland assertions such as you quoted, Alan, lead to
discovering Linux is being seriously attacked when you find you must
rebuild your machine.

At the moment something that scans for known potential 'ix malware
and scans for Windows or Apple nonsense as well would be a good
investment. ("Hey, Fred, your machine is infected. That's why I
disconnected you from my net.")

{o.o}