Adblock Plus add-on for FireFox

BeartoothHOS beartooth at comcast.net
Sat May 21 16:03:42 UTC 2011

On Fri, 20 May 2011 11:39:02 -0700, JD wrote:
	[....]
> I have tried to use privoxy along with tor and along with the firefox
> add-on torbutton. It has not provided me with the type of security I was
> looking for: namely being constantly barraged by the javascripts from
> web sites that scan my cookies, catalogue what I searched for and what
> pages I accessed, ...etc, ...etc.
> I have even found out that the Uverse modem collects browsing history
> and sends it to AT&T. How so very generous of them to provide such
> un-requested "service".
> Using the noscript add-on helps with some websites, the contents of
> which are still readable/viewable in spite of blocking their scripts.
> But many web sites will simply not operate if you block their scripts:
> youtube, ebay, hotmail, not to mention facebook and other social web
> sites. [....]

	I haven't tried tor; so I can't help there. Nor do I frequent
ebay, hotmail, or facebook. Youtube I do sometimes follow links to, when
I get links from old friends a/o posts on a private list.

	For youtube and others I have a remedy which works but may be too
drastic for most. First I set Dillo ("yum install dillo") to be my
default browser. Then, when I click on a link, I get enough of a look at
the site to decide whether to proceed. (If it's a video, I usually don't.)

	If I do proceed, I c&p the URL from Dillo to another browser,
sometimes Ffx and sometimes one that I keep installed to be expendable.
If the site crashes the expendable, I never go there again. If I use Ffx
and get little or no display, I tell NoScript to allow one blocked site
at a time, *temporarily* unless it's one I know.

	I also keep all browsers set not to do sound. It takes something
of the caliber of Cows With Guns or the un-Valkyries (http://
www.m2film.dk/fleggaard/trailer2.swf -- the one good use I know for
Wagner) to get me to turn it on.