F13+: Has anyone been able to get jackd to run with pulseaudio?

Daniel B. Thurman dant at cdkkt.com
Sat May 21 22:03:26 UTC 2011

I searched everywhere on the Internet and found
lots of people complaining that PCM could not be
opened, thus terminating jackd.

Here is what I an getting from starting jackd via qjackctl:

$ jackd -d alsa
jackd 0.118.0
Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
and others.

Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably
alter the line:
     @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
     @audio   -  memlock    1540245
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
capture-only mode
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
impossible sample width (1) discovered!

I have tried everything, including the kitchen sink and cannot
seem to get jackd running.