bios update

Matt Domsch Matt_Domsch at dell.com
Sun May 22 02:25:30 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 10:55:24AM -0300, Sebastian wrote:
>    Apologies*if this has been discussed, I couldn't find it.
>    I have a single boot FC14 system on a*Dell precision M6500 precision
>    notebook and*wish to update the BIOS.
>    I go to the Dell download site, and for my machine select the closest
>    match to my operating system: RH Enterprise Linux 5.
>    This gives me the only option to download an EXE file: "M6500A06.EXE"
>    Is it possible to update my bios with this file given my current
>    installation?
>    I have*windows Virtual Box under FC14,*or,
>    Do I need to delete my*installation, install windows and reinstall?
>    As I really don't want to do this, a final option to consider: could I
>    install windows via a USB drive (so as to not destroy my current*system)
>    and then install bios?*

http://linux.dell.com/wiki/index.php/Repository/firmware

describes how to do this for many (but not all) Dell systems.  The
firmware repository on linux.dell.com carries firmware payloads for
>300 different system types.  firmware-addon-dell and firmware-tools
packages are included in Fedora and EPEL, so you only need the
firmware payload RPM from the firmware repository then.

--
Matt Domsch
Technology Strategist