F13+: Has anyone been able to get jackd to run with pulseaudio?

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Sun May 22 03:56:30 UTC 2011

On 05/21/11 19:44, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
> On 05/21/2011 04:20 PM, JD wrote:
>> On 05/21/11 15:03, Daniel B. Thurman wrote:
>>> I searched everywhere on the Internet and found
>>> lots of people complaining that PCM could not be
>>> opened, thus terminating jackd.
>>>
>>> Here is what I an getting from starting jackd via qjackctl:
>>>
>>> $ jackd -d alsa
>>> jackd 0.118.0
>>> Copyright 2001-2009 Paul Davis, Stephane Letz, Jack O'Quinn, Torben Hohn
>>> and others.
>>> jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
>>> This is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
>>> under certain conditions; see the file COPYING for details
>>>

>>> Memory locking is unlimited - this is dangerous. You should probably
>>> alter the line:
>>>        @audio   -  memlock    unlimited
>>> in your /etc/limits.conf to read:
>>>        @audio   -  memlock    1540245
>>> JACK compiled with System V SHM support.
>>> creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|0|0|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
>>> control device hw:0
>>> ALSA: Cannot open PCM device alsa_pcm for playback. Falling back to
>>> capture-only mode
>>> configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames (21.3 ms), buffer = 2 periods
>>> ALSA: final selected sample format for capture: 16bit little-endian
>>> ALSA: use 2 periods for capture
>>> impossible sample width (1) discovered!
>>>
>>> I have tried everything, including the kitchen sink and cannot
>>> seem to get jackd running.
>>>

>> I had tried some months ago.
>> I gave up because it ended up screwing up my audio
>> so I could no longer get sound out.
>>
> The hard part is finding a site that tells you step-by-step
> what exactly needs to be done.  I had to cobble bits
> and pieces together from different Internet postings to get
> it to work, as many are for older versions of jack and/or
> pulseaudio and for different distros - so I used Ubuntu/Fedora
> distros to assemble it specifically for F13.
>
> > From memory, I recall:
> 1) yum install pulseaudio-module-jack alsa-plugins-jack
> jack-audio-connection-kit
> 2) Add the user to audio, jackuser, pulse, pulse-access
> 3) echo "autospawn = no">  ~/.pulse/client.conf
> 4) cp /etc/pulse/default.pa ~/.pulse/pulsejack.pa
>      Edit and add after the below commented out line:
>     #load-module module-pipe-sink
>      load-module module-jack-source
>      load-module module-jack-sink
> 5) reboot
>
> Sorry that I cannot locate the specific links where
> I found all of the pieces...
>
> But once the basic configuration is done for both
> jack and pulse audio, then one can proceed to use
> qjackctl tool.
>
> See: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/HowToJACKConfiguration
>
> I found that jack has to be "tuned" to make sure
> that there is the proper latency settings (mine is
> @ ~25ms, and you can easily do this with the jack
> tool: qjackctl and keeping an eye on minimizing
> the Xruns, which determines the "optimal" latency
> setting for your system.

> [...]
Thanx a lot. I will retry it then!
What I had wanted to use it for might still
not work; namely to let me play some mp3
into a skype connection so that the person on
the other end can hear good quality sound clip.
I read some blogs on how to do that, but they
were incorrect, so by following their suggestions,
I had lost the audio sound and had to start all over.