Analog video capture

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun May 22 13:48:13 UTC 2011

On Sat, 2011-05-21 at 13:45 -0300, Fernando Cassia wrote:
> I second what someone else said on this thread, you want a digitizer
> card with a hardware mpeg2 encoder (there´s some with mpeg4, too, but
> mpeg2 is good enough). That saves CPU cyclles and you end up with a
> .mpg file with a decent size rather than several gigabytes of
> uncompressed video.

It's also a good idea to get something that captures sound and pictures
all in one, rather than having to use your separate sound card.  That
way, you're far more likely to capture video with the sound in
synchronisation with the picture.

Loss of sound sync is an annoying problem, that gets progressively worse
with longer captures.  And it's a right nuisance playing squeeze and
stretch games with your sound track trying to counteract it.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.