Analog video capture

Rick Stevens ricks at nerd.com
Mon May 23 16:22:59 UTC 2011

On 05/21/2011 07:57 AM, JD wrote:
> On 05/20/11 23:11, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:

>>> I have the HD-PVR and use it on Fedora 14 with VLC (high-def TV in a
>>> window!  Watching AMCHD at the moment :).  Capturing streaming video to
>>> disk is as simple as this:
>>>
>>> $ cat /dev/video0>  ~/Video/capture.m4ts
>> When capturing HD, all it needs to do is move the MPEG-4 TS from the
>> coax to the disk.  HD is that simple to record (its much more complex to
>> *play* it!).  Analog is a different beast.  It needs to be converted to
>> digital in order to store it directly to the hard drive.  Without a
>> hardware endcoder on the card (or in the box), it consumes CPU cycles.
>> Does the HD-PVR have an analog MPEG encoder?  I know the PVR cards do.
>> I don't know about this box.
>>
> What I am not sure of is this:
> What is the physical connection from the HD-PVR
> box to the computer?
> If you do not have a graphics card that accepts video
> input, (such as a laptop), is this box useful in this situation?
> Perhaps the PVR has a usb output also? If so, how would I
> use that to capture video from the PVR?
>
>>> (then you hit "play" on the vcr, wait, hit Ctrl-C on the above :)
>>>
>>> The only catch is it doesn't seem to like working with 5.1 sound (VLC,
>>> not the HDPVR).  Mine is hooked up to stereo inputs instead.

Might I suggest this product:

	http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

Either the box (needs USB3.0) or the PCI card (which I have).  Works
very well, plays nice with V4L and they include Linux-based software.

- Rick Stevens, Systems Engineer, C2 Hosting          ricks at nerd.com -
-     The trouble with troubleshooting is that trouble sometimes     -
-                             shoots back.                           -