Analog video capture

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Mon May 23 19:17:11 UTC 2011

| From: Rick Stevens <ricks at nerd.com>
|
| On 05/21/2011 07:57 AM, JD wrote:

| >> When capturing HD, all it needs to do is move the MPEG-4 TS from the
| >> coax to the disk.  HD is that simple to record (its much more complex to
| >> *play* it!).  Analog is a different beast.

Right.  That is important for the original poster.

What is special about the Hauppauge HD-PVR is that it captures
analogue HD: the input is Component video.  It converts it to MPEG4
for the computer.  It talks to the computer via USB2.

Many digital HD signals are protected by HDCP and thus cannot be
recorded by devices sold in the US (or even here in Canada where they
would still be legal).

So the HD-PVR is doing hard work: converting HD analogue to MPEG4.

The original poster wants to record analogue SD signals.  The the
HD-PVR has traditional SD inputs (S-Video and composite video) too.
There ought to be cheaper solutions for SD but the HD-PVR might have
more interesting future uses.

| Might I suggest this product:
|
| 	http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
|
| Either the box (needs USB3.0) or the PCI card (which I have).  Works
| very well, plays nice with V4L and they include Linux-based software.

Interesting.  Can it do hardware encoding of analogue signals?  I
would think that the only need for USB3's speed would be for raw
(uncompressed) HD signals.  The blurb seems to emphasize access to the
raw stream -- good for editing, burdensome for recording.