On ndiswrapper

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue May 24 02:12:32 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-05-23 at 15:09 +0100, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> I have been trying to get an ancient Orinoco Silver PCMCIA card
> working under ndiswrapper, but I discovered after some "research"
> that ndiswrapper did not create *.conf files
> matching the ID 0342:0006 of my card (as listed by lshal).
> The nearest file provided by ndiswrapper is 0411:0006.F.conf .
>
> Evidently I am not using the correct Windows driver for this card.
> However, this is the only driver provided by Proxim (who now own Orinoco).
> It works perfectly under Windows XP.
>
> The ndiswrapper documentation points to a driver at a site
> which ceased to exist several years ago.
>
> Unfortunately the orinoco_cs driver in the current Linux kernel,
> which is supposed to work with this card, causes a kerneloops.
>
> If anyone has a suggestion how to get this card working under Fedora-14
> I should be most grateful.
----
I don't have a suggestion except that I used to have a laptop and a
silver Orinoco card and it was supported out of the box - way back...
perhaps Fedora Core 2. It was one of the very few wireless cards that
was supported by Linux back then.

Now it's entirely possible that support for the hardware has been
removed from the kernel (I'm too lazy to check now) but it strikes me
that trying to futz with ndiswrapper to make it work is probably crazy.

Just wondering... did you ever modprobe for the orinoco (IIRC, it was
called orinoco_cs but don't trust my memory). As I recall, the Orinoco
silver was only capable of 40 bit WEP which is about as useful as tits
on a nun. What about dmesg?  Did it give you anything meaningful?

Craig

believed to be clean.