How to reinstall Fedora without formatting all disks in system

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 12:55:11 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 24, 2011 at 7:26 AM, John Nissley <jnissley at nissley.org> wrote:
> I am running fedora 12 on two computers I have.  It is time to upgrade
> for obvious reasons and I want to do a clean install of Fedora 15 when
> it becomes available in a few days.  Both computers have multiple disks
> with a relativity small disk that the operating system is on and then
> some fairly large data disks.  I would really like to be able to
> reinstall the operation system without being required to reformat the
> data disks.  I have never tried this before and was wondering if anyone
> could point me in the direction of how to do this.

Without more information about your setup it's not possible to be more
specific but I've done this on several occasions by using the "Custom
partitioning" or whatever the setting is in Anaconda and carefully
setting everything up and only formatting the volumes for "/" and
"/boot" and just labeling the others. In my case "/home" and "/var".

Richard