Mounting cifs

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Wed May 25 01:45:21 UTC 2011

On 05/24/2011 06:57 PM, JD wrote:
> I have been trying to mount on fedora a shared C drive
> from a windows machine running winxp.
>
> Well, I used the mount command:
>
> # mount -t cifs //xp1/c -o
> user=jd,password=mypassword,uid=myuid,gid=mygid,rw /mnt/xp1/c
>
> Unable to find suitable address.

Does "xp1" have an IP address?

If yes, does Fedora know about it?

> I checked the firewall setting on the xp machine and it
> allows pings, and printer and file sharing.
> C drive is shared as resource name C.
>
> There is also a win7 machine on the LAN.
>
> I can ping win7 and win7 can ping fedora.
> But neither fedora not win7 can ping xp1.
> I was hoping that someone has encountered
> this problem and solved it.

Can the XP machine successfully ping either win7 or fedora?

I'd start by comparing IP addresses on all three machines and checking
to see that they all think they are on the "same" network.

Second I'd check the routing tables on all 3 machines to ensure that
they are all consistent.

Can all 3 machines get to the internet (though what I am guessing is a
common router)?

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at verizon.net