F14 to F15 Did not go well

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Wed May 25 13:50:26 UTC 2011

I just tried to upgrade Fedora 14 x86_64 to Fedora 15 x86_64 using the DVD.

It did not go well.

I couldn't figure out what went wrong so I did a fresh install.

The system is a lenovo S10 with two drives and software RAID 1
partitions for /, /boot, and /home all ext3, and swap.

There were ... contaminants ( nvidia drivers from rpmfusion repo, flash
from adobe repo, and chrome from google-chrome repo).

During init something bad flashed by but I couldn't catch it and I was
presented with the "Control-D or root password for maintenance" prompt.

There was nothing useful in /var/log/messages, /var/log/boot.log,
/root/upgrade.log, /root/upgrade.log.syslog, nor dmesg

I figured I'd try a "yum update" after chrooting into the system from
the DVD in rescue mode but yum complained that it couldn't open the RPM
database. I believe it mentioned corruption but I was still on my first
coffee.

It all could be a fluke or it could point to a pattern so I'll try and
provide more details if anybody has questions.