ugly on fonts on upgrade from F13 to F15

suvayu ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:55:50 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I "preupgraded" my desktop to F15 from F13 today. Everything went very
smoothly except this issue with the ugly fonts. For some reason for the
same font settings I get these ugly fonts after the upgrade to F15. I
compared with my F14 laptop, they look "good" just like it used to on
F13 on my desktop.

This is a desktop wide problem. I see it in Firefox, terminal, emacs,
pidgin ...

This is what I have set,

- For the desktop apps: "Sans 10"
- Terminal and Emacs: Monospace

Since all apps look universally bad, is something wrong with my font
rendering setup? I have no idea about fonts and how they are managed, a
pointer or two would be really helpful.

To demonstrate my point see these 2 screen shots.

Good fonts with F14
<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-better-fonts-F14.png>

Bad fonts with F15
<http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-crap-fonts-F15.png>