What on earth is mounted?

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 18:17:14 UTC 2011

I was checking to see if I had everything mounted that I wanted
in a newly genned f15 system, and I see this insanity in
the output from running "mount":

/dev/sda2 on / type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /var/tmp type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)
/dev/sda2 on /home type ext3 (rw,relatime,errors=continue,user_xattr,acl,barrier=0,data=ordered)

Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?

They also all show up with identical free space entries in the
output from the df command.

This is just wayyyy confusing.

Can I make it stop somehow and leave them as ordinary subdirectories
as they have always been?