What on earth is mounted?

Joe Zeff joe at zeff.us
Wed May 25 19:02:59 UTC 2011

On 05/25/2011 11:39 AM, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> Tom Horsley wrote:
>> >  Where on earth do those /tmp /var/tmp and /home entries come from?
>> >  They certainly aren't all mounted on top of the same filesystem root.
>> >  There are no entries for them in /etc/fstab. What is going on?
> systemd has a few hard-coded bind mounts.

...and the benefit of this is what?  Please understand, I'm not
objecting to change if it's for the better.  I do, however, distrust
change for its own sake, such as what's going on with Gnome 3.

As an example of "change for the better," when I first started using X,
it took me a little while to get used to having a desktop that was
bigger than the screen with a viewport that I could pan to different
parts of it, but after a little experimentation and practice, I grew to
love it.  Then, it changed to multiple desktops; not really better, but
certainly easier for newcomers to understand.

Much of what's "under the hood" in Linux and X has been there,
essentially unchanged, for well over a decade.  In computer terms,
that's several lifetimes.  It's stayed that way because it's worked and
(AFAICT) didn't need changing.  The attitude has always been "if it
ain't broke, don't fix it."  Now, it's changing and I have to wonder:
was there something wrong with the old way, or is there something
significantly better about the new?  If so, I'd like to know what it is,
not because I'm resistant to change but because I'd like to learn.

Back when I did tech support for an ISP, I turned myself into a Windows
Internals geek.  Now that I run Linux, I'm something of a Linux
Internals geek.  I may not be able to follow the code any more, but I
can at least familiarize myself with what programs are doing what and why.

Sorry for such a long post, but I felt it important to explain why I'm
asking and what kind of answer I'm looking for.