Mounting cifs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 20:50:00 UTC 2011

On 05/24/11 22:07, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Have you tried the ping tests after turning off your fedora firewall
> (iptables)?  Are they any better or do they still fail?
> What about turning off your XP firewall, just to test the pinging?

I finally zeroed in on the culprit.
It is neither fedora, nor windows xp nor windows 7.
It is the router from at&t.

I repeated the following process:

power cycle the router
wait until the network is re-established on all clients.
then
ping
from      to      works?
-----------------------------
xp1     fedora     yes
fedora   xp1       yes

xp1      win7       yes
win7     xp1        yes

win7     fedora    yes
fedora   win7      yes

Then I waited about 20 to 30 minutes

ping
from      to      works?
-----------------------------
xp1     fedora     no
fedora   xp1       no

xp1      win7       yes
win7     xp1        no

win7     fedora    no
fedora   win7      no

I can reproduce this behaviour every time
I power cycle the router.

It goes without saying that 30 minutes after resetting the router,
neither xp1 nor win7 can access the samba exported printer on fedora,
nor can fedora access the shares exported by win7 and xp1.

I had called at&t - explained the problem.
They sent a cable installer who knew nothing
about administering the router, and he was candid
enough to admit it.

My only conclusion is that someone at  at&t or
a nearby is/are hacking our router, or the router's
firmware is buggy.
But I have never seen a bug like this that waits
20 to 30 minutes before striking :)