Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:27:30 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 02:46 AM, Kam Leo wrote:
> After reading the bug report I can only shake my head.
>
> 1. The problem was known at least a month before the release date.

Yes.  As noted in the bug report,  a change in the installer and related
components are going in for Fedora 16 but the amount of change was
considered too disruptive by the installer team to risk pushing in a
change just a month before release.  Note that Fedora 15 development is
already on a code freeze at that time and only important and confined
bug fixes are supposed to be pushed in at that point.  This
bug fix won't be confined and requires significant changes in many
components.  Those are very risky to push through one month before the
release in a installer.

> 2. QA feels that they're powerless to flag this problem as a show stopper.

QA works against a well documented and publicized release criteria that
gets frequent updates via test list

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_15_Final_Release_Criteria

In particular,  the installer in Fedora 14 already required more memory
in some cases and this isn't considered a show stopper bug to block the
release as per the release criteria.

> 3. Release Notes have long lead times and are no longer suitable for
> flagging important last minute changes in system requirements.

Fedora doesn't rely on only the release notes.  There are other places
including the common bugs page which is linked from the release
announcement and other prominent places.

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Common_F15_bugs#Installation_requires_more_memory

Rahul