ugly on fonts on upgrade from F13 to F15

Suvayu Ali fatkasuvayu+linux at gmail.com
Wed May 25 21:40:14 UTC 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 14:21:10 -0600
Phil Meyer <pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com> wrote:

> On 05/25/2011 09:55 AM, suvayu ali wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I "preupgraded" my desktop to F15 from F13 today. Everything went
> > very smoothly except this issue with the ugly fonts. For some
> > reason for the same font settings I get these ugly fonts after the
> > upgrade to F15. I compared with my F14 laptop, they look "good"
> > just like it used to on F13 on my desktop.
> >
> > This is a desktop wide problem. I see it in Firefox, terminal,
> > emacs, pidgin ...
> >
> > This is what I have set,
> >
> > - For the desktop apps: "Sans 10"
> > - Terminal and Emacs: Monospace
> >
> > Since all apps look universally bad, is something wrong with my font
> > rendering setup? I have no idea about fonts and how they are
> > managed, a pointer or two would be really helpful.
> >
> > To demonstrate my point see these 2 screen shots.
> >
> > Good fonts with F14
> > <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-better-fonts-F14.png>
> >
> > Bad fonts with F15
> > <http://i288.photobucket.com/albums/ll164/jalladandtux/screenies/emacs-crap-fonts-F15.png>
>
> I saw this kind of thing once, maybe back in FC8.  From that point
> on, I have religiously installed every font family I could find, and
> have never seen the issue recur.
>
> I suspected, and proved with experiment then, that it was a
> particular font family or rendering system difference.
>
> Here is what I have installed in F15 (you are welcome to note the
> absurdity):
>
> rpm -qa | grep font | grep -v texlive | sort -u

I have many more all those installed on my system too. There might be
something else going on here. I found the following discussion which
seemed related to my issue.

<http://w3bfaq.com/partially-hinted-fonts>

If this is indeed the case, not sure how one would configure to turn
this "feature" off. I am not familiar with fontconfig at all. :(

--
Suvayu