Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed May 25 22:40:45 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 04:06 AM, Kevin J. Cummings wrote:
> Preupgrade should know about the limitation and refuse to run the
> upgrade if insufficient ram exists in the system instead of waiting for
> the reboot where it just hangs with no explanation....

"Should know" is true in the ideal sense.  However it is far from easy
to determine in advance however.  Even now, the amount of memory used is
given as a range instead of a specific value because of these reasons.
The only thing possible is to document it and the obvious place which is
the download page already has been updated.    I have also added this
info in the common bugs page which is referenced from the announcement
and in the wiki as well.   I filed a bug report against the release
notes as well long back and if I find time,  I will take a look at
updating the package.    If anyone wants to help,  let me know.   Thanks.

Rahul