Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu May 26 01:47:38 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 21:21, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> No problem.   Not sure what you were laughing about but if you are
> running Fedora with 256 MB RAM,  you are in a minority of Fedora
> users.   I would say, the average Fedora user has anywhere between 1 GB
> and 4 GB of RAM and with every release,  the amount of people using
> systems with even more RAM keep growing

What kind of rocket science is needed by the average linux installer,
besides extracting RPMs or .tar.gz files and copying files to the HD?

Other than selecting different kernels based on architecture (say,
i386, i686, etc) after hardware sniffing, couldn´t a "working bootable
system" base image be extracted from a single file, and then only
customize the drivers (kernel modules) needed for a particular
system?, and additional packages selected by the user?.

In other words, if I install F15 on a Atom powered Netbook, or AMD
Opteron workstation, surely the result of a "minimum install" is the
same. Why make the installer fiddle with dozens of RPMs then (which
takes a lot of time) instead of copying a partition image of this
"minium bootable system" from DVD to HD??.

Thoughts? (just thinking aloud)
FC