NetworkManager in fedora 15 various questions/problems

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Thu May 26 01:53:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-25 at 09:57 +0100, Tim Smith wrote:
> Maybe someone could try convincing linksys to randomise their default
> SSID, or include the BSSID in it, but I don't hold out much hope for
> that. It's always annoyed me. An identical SSID constitutes a promise
> that this is the same network with the same security parameters and
> you can hop from one to the other and expect things to carry on
> working. With the same SSID on lots of differently-configured APs you
> may expect most clients to take an increasingly long time to connect
> when they walk further from their "real" home, as they try all those
> apparently-identical APs with better signal strength and fail to get
> authenticated...

Hmm, that probably explains the mindset behind the "hide the SSID"
transmits a variable bogus value.

I would have thought they'd use a serial number, and have the
instructions tell customers to look at the sticker on the modem, to tell
which is yours in the list of local access points.

I tell people to name theirs "george" or "fred" or something similarly
easily identifiable, but not interesting to teenage hackers next door.
It makes for amusing phone calls for help, "I need you to have a look at
George, he's forgotten his password, again..."

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.