Fedora 15 installer needs more than 512MB RAM

Fernando Cassia fcassia at gmail.com
Thu May 26 02:00:19 UTC 2011

On Wed, May 25, 2011 at 22:51, Rahul Sundaram <metherid at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think you are grossly underestimating the complexity of a modern Linux
> distribution installer.   ISCSI,  LUN storage discovery,  RAID,  LVM,
> kickstart,  network handling,  kdump,   mirror lists,  storage
> handling,  swap,  partitioning,  encrypted devices,  resizing,  handling

At least 4 of your big list could be summed up as "partitioning".
Many others as "hardware sniffing".

So I repeat my question: After partitioning is done, wouldn´t it be
easier to copy a "base bootable image" to a volume?. Wasn´t that the
big change in Windows installer from XP to 7?, the fact that the
installer is much faster because it just copies/uncompresses a
bootable image of the pre-installed OS, then does tweakings/settings
on top of it?

FC