F15 network startup troubles (Was: F14 -> F15 upgrade, ypbind doesn't start)

Leonid Podolny leonidp.lists at gmail.com
Thu May 26 07:44:36 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 09:06 AM, Mogens Kjaer wrote:
> I have a machine set up to do login authentication via NIS.
>
> After I've upgraded to F15, ypbind no longer starts automatically at
> boot time, so I can't log in.

Hi,
I'm running into the very same issue, also complicated by the fact that my home directory is on NFS.
I think that all the problems have one root cause: "service network start" returns before the network link is actually up. This causes the services immediately after it in boot sequence to fail, i.e. YP tries to bind to the server and fails. In old, bash-based, init system I would just put "sleep 30" into some script as a crude workaround, but no, they had to take it away from us.