Mouse won't scroll

Tom Horsley horsley1953 at gmail.com
Thu May 26 10:30:23 UTC 2011

On Thu, 26 May 2011 06:11:21 -0400
John Aldrich wrote:

> I've gone into Systemsettings and it looks fine there... seems similar to
> the problem that used to be fixed by going in and hacking the X86config file.
> 'Course we don't use that any more, so I don't know how to fix this.

Read up on the xinput tool, run the xev program and see what the scroll
wheel is actually telling X, then see if you can come up with an
xinput command to fix it. If that works, then make a script named
something like /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/99-fixmouse.sh and put
the commands in there, and they will run every time anyone starts
a new X session. Here's mine to remap some buttons and enable
drag lock on my trackball:

xinput --set-button-map \
       'Kensington      Kensington Expert Mouse' \
       1 8 3 4 5 6 7 2
xinput --set-int-prop \
       'Kensington      Kensington Expert Mouse' \
       'Evdev Drag Lock Buttons' 8 2 1

Of course, if you use a KVM switch that has the effect of
unplugging and replugging the mouse, it gets more complicated
and you have to rerun the xinput commands every time you
plug in the mouse.