Looking for a new notebook - 12" screen

Robert Moskowitz rgm at htt-consult.com
Thu May 26 15:40:56 UTC 2011

On 05/26/2011 10:47 AM, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> --- On Thu, 5/26/11, Robert Moskowitz<rgm at htt-consult.com>  wrote:
>
>> I have been using an HP2400 duo core
>> for years (is there a way to find
>> the manufacturing date without going into bios?).  But
>> this morning it
>> jsut about gave me a heart attack when it would not come
>> out of
>> standby.  Reseating the drive connector, though did
>> the job.
>>
>> So I looked on ebay, and see I can get a 'new refurbished'
>> nc2400 for
>> $250, but what can I get newer that suits my tastes?
>>
>> Other than running Fedora....
>>
>> 12" screen
>> Eraser head mouse button, touchpad optional (I have never
>> liked the
>> touchpad, especially for drawings in slide making)
>> My nc2400 duo core reports 2400 bogomips per cpu, so at
>> least this.
>> At least 1Gb memory
>> At least 80Gb disk
>> Internal DVD/CD would be nice, but is optional
>>   >  5hr battery life (8 would be nice)
>> External video connection
>> At least 2 USB ports
>> Of course ethernet and WiFi, other wireless optional
>>
>> I guess that is my shopping list.  As I have to pay
>> for this myself,
>> can't get the company to let me run Linux officially, I am
>> looking for
>> deals...
> Take a look at the Thinkpad X120e.
>
> http://shop.lenovo.com/us/products/Laptops/ThinkPad/x-series/x120e/index.html

It seems this is quite a new unit?  Only came out this March?

Nothing against brand spanking new, other than price and lack of
performance information.

It would be nice to find it without paying for Windoz.  I found
linuxcertified.com, but they don't list the x120e, and their netbook
(10") is not much less than the prices I am seeing for the 120.