Why on the Earth GNOME Shell hiding Shutdown & Restart options

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Thu May 26 17:15:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, May 26, 2011 at 10:05:43AM -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:
> On 05/26/2011 09:59 AM, Ian Malone wrote:
> > Will probably be going XFCE/LXDE soon unless I
> > can find the time to summarise the mistakes Gnome3 seems to have made,
> > there's a good idea in there but it's buried under bad choices and the
> > usual Gnome resistance to customisation.
>
> Back when I first tried Gnome, around FC 6, it was easy to customize.
> As time passed, it got less and less easy.  Now, from what I've read,
> it's pretty much a case of having One True Way to do everything, and
> that's the way the devs like to do it.  It's either their way or the
> highway.  Now I use XFCE, which is still easy to customize.

yeah, and that's unfortunate. For example: someone had the great idea to
remove all configurability from GDM so that as of F14 you can't change
anything in it anymore.

Re F15, I spent about 5 minutes with a pre-beta LIVE CD of F15 with Gnome
3 and couldn't figure out for the life of me how one was supposed to
DO anything with it. like, why would you take a perfectly good working
system and hide everything that the user might want to do?

I subsequently installed the LXDE version on my old scanner system
(no room near my computer desk for the scanner, so it's in a closet
with its own system and a UPS and the cable modem and the router and
the network switch and on and on). Not sure LXDE is my favorite either,
it seems kind of minimal, but I'll stick with it for a while to see if
I can learn to use it.

and drifting OT here,... and speaking of hiding features, I tried, just
last week, the latest Meego release live-on-USB on my eeepc, just for
grins. While I likely won't ever use meego instead of fedora on my
netbook, I can see that it's actually pretty usable. Pretty much
everything just worked OOTB. But they also hide the shutdown button...
in fact I couldn't find one anywhere to click, but at least it traps the
event if you press the power switch so it then gives you the choice to
stop/sleep/hibernate the system.

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us