Mounting cifs

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri May 27 12:03:22 UTC 2011

Tim:
>> Doesn't meant it hasn't been zapped from another route (static inside
>> the house, hotplugging equipment, poor anti-static precautions when the
>> unit was built), or has simply failed.

JD:
> But how can you explain that a power reset (without letting
> it cool down), makes all three machine be able to communicate
> and 20-30 minutes later, they cannot?

If, and I mean if, being zapped was the cause, then that could well be
the nature of the fault.  Damage to components that allow a charge to
build up that causes stuff ups.

Faulty equipment can behave in weird ways.  I've been servicing
electronics equipment for over twenty years, and it's quite hard to
relate broken equipment behaviour to how things are expected to work.

>> You don't have to use /their/ crappy thing for your wireless.  You could
>> use your own wireless access point within your LAN.

> I tried. I attached my ow router to the att router.
> And guess what, the latency is so horrible for EVERY
> packet, that it makes it useless. It's as if heir router
> firmware does not seem to like to receive NATed packets?

That's possible.  Or just a strange compatibility between yours and
theirs.  Or you've firewalled things off, too much, and broken basic
networking.

In the best of worlds, you'd reconfigure their modem/router to act as
just a bare-bones modem (bridge mode), so there's less processing
between modem and your own router.

>> I'm presuming you're persevering with using it because you're encumbered
>> with it by your ISP.  If you're stuck with it, and it is faulty, I'd be
>> getting more snarky with the ISP about getting it swapped.  Seeing as
>> you're paying for it, one way or another.

> I assure you I tried. They "analyze" the problem from remote
> and say they cannot find any problem with the router.
> If it were up to me I would get rid of them faster than light speed :)

Can you not replace it, yourself, with something equivalent?  Does using
that ISP absolutely require their equipment?

Can you break it, accidentally on purpose?  ;-)

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.25-78.2.56.fc9.i686

read messages from the public lists.