Mounting cifs

JD jd1008 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:19:55 UTC 2011

On 05/27/11 05:03, Tim wrote:
> If, and I mean if, being zapped was the cause, then that could well be
> the nature of the fault.  Damage to components that allow a charge to
> build up that causes stuff ups.
>
> Faulty equipment can behave in weird ways.  I've been servicing
> electronics equipment for over twenty years, and it's quite hard to
> relate broken equipment behaviour to how things are expected to work.
>
> That's possible.  Or just a strange compatibility between yours and
> theirs.  Or you've firewalled things off, too much, and broken basic
> networking.
As this is a new development that started AFTER at&t
flashed the modem with new firmware, I doubt it is
faulty or zapped equipment. I don't believe in those
kinds of co-incidences.
AFA compatibility, I think we are reaching for a hare's
horn :)

> In the best of worlds, you'd reconfigure their modem/router to act as
> just a bare-bones modem (bridge mode), so there's less processing
> between modem and your own router.
That modem cannot be configured as you describe.
> Can you not replace it, yourself, with something equivalent?  Does using
> that ISP absolutely require their equipment?
Obviously you have not used at&t uverse service :)
Without THEIR modem nothing works. Uverse is a
package: TV, Internet, Phone services. Decryption
of the TV signal occurs in the modem, and is then
sent out the same cable on a different frequency,
which is then picked up by each TV's at&t' STB.
The modem just has piggybacked into it the WIFI
and ethernet card.
> Can you break it, accidentally on purpose?  ;-)
I think the owner could ask them to replace it.
but I do not believe that is  the problem. Everything
works except for the comm between the LAN
clients. That is why I do not believe in the "zapped"
theory.