dovecot IMAP server doesn't work after Fedora 14 reinstall

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat May 28 05:19:39 UTC 2011

Greetings,

I have a computer on which I ran Fedora 14 x86_64 and dovecot to keep a
local imap copy of all my email, in maildir format. One week ago the hard
disk broke, so I bought a new one, reinstalled Fedora 14 x86_64 with all
the updates and copied all my maildirs back to the disk from backups.

I had ran yum update just a few days before the crash, so the dovecot
version and package is the same or almost the same. Since the reinstall,
however, I've been unable use dovecot to access those maildirs. All the
details and error messages are in this post I immediately sent to the
dovecot mailing list, so I won't repeat them here:

http://www.mail-archive.com/dovecot@dovecot.org/msg38562.html

since I've got no help yet there, and since there may be some reason (see
next phrase) external to dovecot, I'm trying here. As far as I can tell,
the only difference between this and the previous install _may_ be the
file system. This time I let the installer go with ext4. I honestly don't
remember what kind of file system was being used on the crashed disk, but
it may have been ext3.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated!!!

TIA,
             Marco