dovecot IMAP server doesn't work after Fedora 14 reinstall

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sat May 28 08:59:48 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 10:33 am, Gianluca Sforna wrote:

> Every time I reinstall and restore the home from a backup I run a
> "restorecon -R /home" to avoid selinux issues.
> Did you check logs for denials?

ARGH!!!

The disk broke right 2 days before a deadline, so sunday and monday my
brain wasn't really lucid. When I restored the mailboxes, I had completely
forgotten about Selinux. So I saw I couldn't read them, sent the help
request to the dovecot list and then had to forget the whole issue to
finish restoring everything else and the work I was supposed to finish on
monday.

That's the only excuse I have for not thinking myself to this. I checked
the maillog, not the selinux log.

Yes, it was Selinux. With Selinux disabled that problem disappears. Now I
only have problems like this:

May 28 10:47:19 polaris dovecot: imap(marco): Error:
rename(/home/z/email/marco/.2009.12/dovecot.index.tmp,
/home/z/email/marco/.2009.12/dovecot.index) failed: Operation not
permitted

so I still have to debug this, but now it is more likely a dovecot-only
problem

THANKS!
Marco