KDE Laggy in Fresh F15

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohio.edu
Sat May 28 09:30:10 UTC 2011

I just did a fresh install of Fedora 15 x86_64 with KDE.

KDE is mostly unusable in Fedora 15 while it was fine in Fedora
14 (with nvidia driver).

The display seems to freeze for a few seconds every few seconds.

Menus take seconds to open.

Windows leave garbage on the display when they are moved or re-sized.

New windows are often filled with garbage before they are drawn
all the way.

KDE automatically disables the desktop effects.

I installed and switched to fluxbox and everything is snappy.

Without all of the KDE decoration firefox went from unusable to
normal under fluxbox.

I have not installed any software not in Fedora's repository (no
nvidia drivers).

System details that might be usefull:

lenovo S10
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz
4 GB of DDR3 1067 MHz RAM
nVidia Corporation G86 [Quadro NVS 290]
nouveau driver is loaded and in /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Screen spans two 1600x1200 CRTs