Improving video response on windows7 kvm guest on fedora14

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Sat May 28 09:49:31 UTC 2011

On Thu, 2011-05-26 at 17:16 -0400, Alex wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have an existing windows7 x86_64 kvm guest running on fedora14
> x86_64 with a Radeon HD5700 at 1680x1050, and would like to improve
> the resolution and video response of the Windows guest.  How can I
> change the Windows
> driver to something more capable than "standard vga"? It currently
> reports there is only 16MB of RAM at available at 1440x900. How can I
> increase this? I've tried using virsh or editing the xml directly, but
> it doesn't seem to be reflected in the guest.
>
> Some of the configuration options I've read in the documentation don't
> work with fedora14 and virt-manager, such as the acceleration options.
> This is my current configuration:
>
>    <video>
>      <model type='vmvga' vram='192000' heads='1'/>
>      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02'
> function='0x0'/>
>    </video>
>
> Video response is very slow and the mouse is also sluggish.
>
> How can I more effectively use the video card's capabilities in the
> Windows guest?
>
> Thanks,
> Alex

You could use spice under Fedora 14, but you'll have to configure qemu
directly. (-vga qxl).
-However-, the qxl driver for Windows 7 / x86_64 is unsigned, which
means you cannot use it under Windows 7 without disabling the driver
signature enforcement every-time you boot the guest (F8 during boot;
disable driver signature enforcement).

- Gilboa