Samsung 2525w F15 installation problem

Gary Waters linuxnutster at videotron.ca
Sat May 28 16:18:04 UTC 2011

Hello,

I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
attempting to install:

[root at localhost Linux]# sh install.sh
****  It seems Qt library is not installed, or X display is not accessible.
****  Custom Qt library will be configured for use with this package.
GUI mode installer execution failed, proceeding in text mode
****  Running text mode install
****  Press Enter to continue or q and then Enter to quit

I then press enter to continue and get this response:

**** Non-priviliged users found:
nfsnobody
****  Are you going to use USB-connected devices ?
****  If yes, users allowed to scan or manage printers should be added to lp
****  group. The list of non-privileged users proposed for addition is
shown above.
****  Press y and then Enter to add users or Enter to leave lp group intact:

I then press "y" and "enter" and get this response. I shortened the list
to reduce clutter:

****  Print drivers for the following device models available:
ML-2010spl2 ML-2150ps ML-2150spl2 ML-2240spl2 ML-2245spl2 ML-2250spl2
ML-2510spl2 ML-2525w
****  Please enter model to install and press Enter:

Once I enter the model number and press enter, gnome crashes and I end
up back at the login screen.

When I repeat the same step and simply hit "enter" the leave lp group
intact and once again choose the model number and hit enter there is a
quick flash of text in konsole about something installing ( possibly
sane backends ) and poof...same result...gnome crashes and I end up back
at the login screen. The same thing happens from KDE

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.