Samsung 2525w F15 installation problem

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Sat May 28 17:09:17 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 28, 2011 at 12:54:04PM -0400, Gary Waters wrote:
> On 05/28/2011 12:18 PM, Gary Waters wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I purchased a samsung 2525w printer and installed it without a hitch in
> > fedora 12. Please note there appears to be no ppd file for this printer,
> > but a 3-part driver download. Everything worked fine in F12; however,
> > this is not the case in F15. Below are the error messages I get when
> > attempting to install:
<snippage>
> > Any suggestions would be appreciated. I did some googling and saw others
> > with the same issue in other distros, but no concrete solutions. Please
> > note that I am not an extremely experienced Linux user.
>
> Ok...I retract. The ppd file for this printer is on in
> cdroot3/Linux/noarch/at_opt/share. Simply launch system-config-printer
> and browse for the file. I got it working that way. I'm going to assume
> this will be the case for many newer samsung printers. The Linux driver
> was not on the provided CD, but was available as a three-part package on
> the samsung site.

Just wondering, not having that printer myself:
if you install all the cups* packages, and all the foomatic* packages,
does system-config-printer already have that printer (or a close one)
listed? i.e., so you won't have to use the driver from Samsung?

E.g.: my Brother HL2070-N isn't listed, but if I choose HL-2060 then
choose the foomatic/HL1250 printer driver it works just peachy.
Often the same kind of thing works for other printers, just takes
a little judicious experimentation.

    community.
 --Roger Ebert, December, 1996