F14 - graphics problem with intel i915

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Sat May 28 18:07:02 UTC 2011

 Can anyone help with this.

 1) I have Lenovo W520 laptop.

    It has Optimus graphics - currently set to Intel Integrated

     lscpi reports : VGA compatible controller:
          Intel Corporation Device 0126 (rev 09)

     I wonder if the '0126' is an issue for fedora ?

 2) I have managed to install F14

 3) If I boot parted magic 6.1 - it boots up fine - brings up the screen
using intel i915 driver in its 1920 x 1080 (FHD) mode.

    Great - that's what I want in fedora.

    Its using 2.6.38.2 kernel - /var/log/X.0.log shows intel driver is used.

 4) When I boot fedora I have no joy - i compiled the F15 source rpm of
    kernel 2.6.38.6 - it does not recognize the intel card and uses VESA
     in 1280 x 1024

    Xorg log -shows VESA is used.

    The screen is messed up - for example the top bar of gnome is "off
screen".

 5) I compiled 2.6.39 kernel from F16 source rpm.

    It boots fine too - and also brings up VESA driver - screen is no
longer 'messed up' but I am styill stuck on 1280 x 1024.

 6) Does anyone know how I can get fedora to use the Intel i915 driver
just like "parted magic" CD does ...

    Fedora has to be as good as parted magic .. no?

   Help appreciated.

 Thanks ..

   gene/

 [PS. I have also tried switching BIOS to nvidia discrete graphics -
none of nouveau, 260 nvidia or 270 (rawhide) nvidia seem to work - they
freeze as soon as the (nomodeset'ed) boot progress bar starts ... i.e.
as soon as X kicks in]