Why no icons? Was, Re: How to switch back to metacity

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Sat May 28 18:54:16 UTC 2011

Steven Stern writes:

> On 05/28/2011 12:57 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
> > On 05/28/2011 05:31 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> >>
> >> My biggest culture shock is losing all of my desktop icons.
> >
> > Now this is something I just can't understand.  I don't want to start an
> > argument, but does anybody know why this decision was made?
>
> Install gnome-tweak-tool and select "Have the File Manager handle the
> desktop".

That's only a partial solution. I still get a blank screen when I log in.
Its necessary to manually open the file manager before the desktop icons
show up.

And I still find no equivalent settings for having my input focus follow the
mouse pointer, and for windows to autoraise upon gaining focus.

And I still lost all my panel applets; my weather applet, and my hardware
health sensors monitoring applet.

And looks like I've heard the last of my startup sound.

The fallback mode is not much of a fallback. It does not restore any of that
functionality.

I do detect a rather consistent pattern through all of this, though.

P.S. I can't find a single bit's worth of difference after installing gnome-
shell-extensions-user-theme. I can't find any UI component that will
supposedly offer me to set a UI scheme, even if the list of available
choices is an empty list. I have "gnome-shell-extensions-user-theme"
installed, yet tweaks still claims that "user theme extension not enabled".
I'm ready to give up.