Today's GNOME3 funny

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sat May 28 23:11:51 UTC 2011

On 05/29/2011 03:06 AM, Sam Varshavchik wrote:
> Bill Davidsen writes:
>
>> I was looking at gnome3.org today, and their FAQ says that "The
>> traditional
>> GNOME 2 desktop will not disappear overnight, however: releases of
>> GNOME 2
>> will
>> continue to be supported by distributions for years to come." so
>> clearly they
>
> Oh?
>
> Where exactly can I find my familiar gnome 2 desktop in this
> particular distribution? I don't mean the fallback mode, because
> that's not it.

I don't think gnome3.org implies that distributions will continue to
include GNOME 2.x since obviously GNOME 2.x is not parallel installable
with GNOME 3.x and they can't make promises on behalf of distributions.
Some distributions, notably enterprise ones will continue to support
GNOME 2.x for years.  RHEL 6 for instance,  has a 7 to 10 year support
cycle.

Rahul