Was inn tested for F15

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Sun May 29 14:19:45 UTC 2011

Tim wrote:
> Bruno Wolff III:
>>> /var/run is now a tmpfs so data there will be lost at each reboot.
>
> Sam Varshavchik:
>> Splendid. Aside from the fact that inn's startup script does not get invoked
>> correctly by initscripts, if you do invoke it correctly you also discover
>> that it expects /var/run/news to be there, otherwise it bombs.
>
> Hmm, is it right or wrong for *anything* to expect the contents
> of /var/run to remain after a reboot?

There is a benefit to cleaning out the lock files, but there is a definite
problem to cleaning out everything, since the directory structure is needed to
support the lockfiles. Having the program create the structure is possible, but:
- it moves complexity from the install to the program
- it means more code needs to be added to check that the app is actually
   installed at all
- it is one more distribution sensitive thing to add to config

Personal opinion: if shutdown saved the directory structure but not the
lockfiles, and startup repopulated /var/run when it was created, then
maintainers wouldn't have to be hacking multiple applications to add code which
seems not to be needed in some/most/all other distributions.

Someone obviously didn't like the "least work" approach.

> I would have expected /var/run should be volatile, like /tmp.

/tmp isn't volatile. At least not in the sense that everything is removed over
every boot. At least not in Fedora <15, haven't looked to see if a reboot loses
all work in progress there.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>