Hard disk upgrade

Mike Williams dmikewilliams at gmail.com
Sun May 29 16:45:09 UTC 2011

On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM, Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net> wrote:

> I've found that upgrading Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 has been very simple,
> with no problems at all, even though I am keeping the same /home partition,
> which has caused problems (mainly with KDE) in previous upgrades.
>
> One thing that has been known to cause problems is the contents of old
.something directories, there are lots of them and their contents change
from time to time in ways that break things.  I've started moving them all
out of the way before an install.   I put all of the .something dirs in
~/old_dot_dirs and let the install create new ones.

> However, I had one problem trying to do a hard disk upgrade
> on a machine with no internet access, but running Fedora-14.
> I copied Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso to / (/dev/sda5) via a USB stick,
> and copied isolinux/vmlinuz and isolinux/initrd.img to /
> (after "mount -o loop").
>
> Then I re-booted with the grub stanza
> -------------------------
> title Fedora 15 install
>        root (hd0,4)
>        kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/Fedora-15-i386-DVD.iso
>        initrd /initrd.img
> -------------------------
>
> I just did a hd install myself and did it a little differently, in my case
it did find everything needed for the install.  I also installed the new
vmlinuz and initrd in a subdirectory of /boot but that isn't relevant here
so we can skip those differences.

Here is what was different for my config:

1. created a directory named images at the same level as the DVD.iso
2. copied install.img from /images of the iso to /images on the hard disk
    (so on the install disk there was /Fedora...DVD.iso and a directory
named /images
    with the install.img file copied from the mounted DVD.iso)

3. The last entry of the line with the repo info in grub.conf only contained
the *path* to
    the iso *not* the name of the file.  In your case, I think that this
would have worked:

kernel /vmlinuz repo=hd:/dev/sda5:/

Mike