Why no icons? Was, Re: How to switch back to metacity

Andre Robatino robatino at fedoraproject.org
Sun May 29 18:44:39 UTC 2011

Greg Woods <woods <at> ucar.edu> writes:

> Seems to be a very delicate thing. In that case, they are talking about
> Vbox running with F15 as the host OS and an Ubuntu 11.04 guest running
> Gnome Shell. What I am trying to do (basically following those
> instructions) is to run an F15 guest with Vbox running on an F14 host
> desktop. That has not worked other than in fallback mode, even with "3D
> acceleration" checked.

AIUI, the host needs to be Gnome Shell capable as well for this to work, since
VirtualBox is trying to use 3D passthrough (someone correct me if this is wrong,
I haven't tried it on a non-3D capable host). You could test the host by using a
F15 live image to see if it comes up in Gnome Shell or fallback mode.