Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Mon May 30 08:35:31 UTC 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 09:11:26 +0100, NG wrote:

> To anyone trying to upgrade from Fedora 14 to Fedora 15, DON'T EVEN
> TRY!!! I've just tried and have had numerous problems, finally resulting
> in being unable to boot up any kernel version at all, using inittab mode
> 1,3, or 5. In view of this it appears I will have to reinstall Fedora 14.

What are you trying to achieve with such a general warning?

Distribution upgrades have never been entirely trouble-free, not even if
doing it with the DVD image. Even if all old packages get replaced during
the upgrade (and no package violated the upgrade-path), the new packages
need to cope with all sorts of configuration/integration/customisation
specialties at run-time.

Btw, a reinstall of Fedora 15 could be tried as well to test whether
you would run into the same or similar issues. ;)

--
Linux 2.6.38.6-27.fc15.x86_64 #1 SMP Sun May 15 17:23:28 UTC 2011