No ethernet connection -

Bob Goodwin bobgoodwin at wildblue.net
Mon May 30 13:49:32 UTC 2011

On 30/05/11 08:15, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 12:59, Tom H wrote:
>
>>>          ifconfig -eth1 "error - Device not found"
>>>
>>>          ifconfig -a lists data for em1,lo,and p2p1, with some ethernet HWaddr's for em1 and p2/p1.
>> The em1/p2p1 names are biosdevname's doing:
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ConsistentNetworkDeviceNaming
>>
>> By default, there isn't a 70-persistent-net.rules.
>
> As Tom states, eth1 if a pci card, will now be em1,
> unless you have more than one pci nic.
>
> I'm guessing eth0 is on the mainboard.

    Yes, eth0 is on the main board, 10/100, I added a faster card as
    eth1, 100/1000. I assume em1 is on the mb and p2p1 is the [100/1000]
    one I set in the network configuration. The other is not used for
    anything.

    I also see that I can do systemctl status network.service which
    results in:

        network.service - LSB: Bring up/down networking

            Loaded: loaded (/etc/rc.d/init.d/network)
            Active: failed since Monday 30 May ....
            CGroup: name+systemd:/system/network.service

     Bob