Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING!

Genes MailLists lists at sapience.com
Mon May 30 15:28:03 UTC 2011

On 05/30/2011 06:06 AM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> If only yum worked after booting from a rescue DVD.
>
> I tried updating using yum in stages, (yumex actually using
> networkmanager). Unfortunately this eventually crippled networkmanager,
> and inittab 5 boot. The later I got round by creating a desktop file to
> and started gui from inittab 3, (to KDE).
>
> I have updated using this method from Fedora 10 -> 14 successfully. As
> Fedora 8 -> 10 was KDE 3 -> 4 I did a fresh install.

  Long experience by many is being shared with you ... updating -
especially through multiple versions can lead to quirks ... a fresh
install once in a while is a very healthy thing to do.

  It is also likely to be difficult for others to help - since your
system has aged differently (from F10 .. via upgrades) and hardware is
different too .. so others may just say 'worked for me'.

  Seriously, the best advice has been given - do a fresh install - and
go from there - since your /home is a separate (backed up partition)
right (?) - just restore it after the update ...

  Also you may find it useful to run yum list installed > my-stuff as
well as chkconfig --list > my-svcs before doing the install as a reference.

  I only do fresh installs now (since about FC6) and it has certainly
reduced the issues for me ... if you do insist and upgrade my advice
would be alternate upgrades with fresh installs (i.e. F16 upgrade, F17
fresh install etc).

 Good luck.