Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15

n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com
Mon May 30 18:35:04 UTC 2011

On 30/05/11 18:50, Frank Murphy wrote:
> On 30/05/11 18:44, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>
>> OK, folks I have just reinstalled Fedora 14, (KDE minimal and working),
>> updated, (working) , then upgraded to Fedora 15 and it still fails
>> completely.
>
> What happens?
>
> Based on this experience I'm loathe to recommend Fedora 15,
>> and I suspect that even a Fedora 15 DVD install will give the same
>> result. Even worse my Fedora 14 rescue DVD has been of no use either.
>
> What does F14 resuce give you?

The yum upgrade from the minimal Fedora 14 KDE ran smoothly, (no
conflicts or removals). Unfortunately on rebooting I cannot boot at all,
(inittab 3 or 5), and when I just tried the Fedora 14 rescue DVD, that
failed as well!! Currently I can only suspect that the SELinux
permissions update are not being completed properly on reboot. So
perhaps a Fedora 15 DVD install and update will work.

As I've said elsewhere I will be avoiding Fedora 15 until I can find a
reliable method of installing/upgrading that works. Hence my laptop, (in
use now), will continue to run Fedora 14. Also I have successfully
upgraded via yum Fedora 10 -> 11 -> 12 -> 13 -> 14, (and never had this
big a problem).

Based on my experience, even with a minimal Fedora 14 installation, I
cannot recommend trying to upgrade Fedora 14 -> 15 via yum.