Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

Mikkel L. Ellertson mellertson at gmail.com
Mon May 30 18:52:12 UTC 2011

On 05/30/2011 01:20 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:

> Failed completely means I cannot even boot to a console, (inittab 3).
> Currently I'm trying to boot the last Fedora 14 kernel and it's having
> to do some SELinux filesystem update. So the next thing to try is to
> install from a Fedora 15 install DVD. Just for the record the yum Fedora
> 14 -> 15 upgrade for the minimal install ran faultlessly, no conflicts
> or package removals.
>
> The only other thing that maybe affecting things is there are other
> partitions and drives. But that should not be a problem, although I may
> try again with just the one drive.
>
> Having upgraded using yum Fedora 10 -> 14 incrementally without this
> problem, I'm somewhat concerned. Bottom line, trying to upgrade to
> Fedora 15 via yum is inherently risky and I cannot recommend people try
> it, based on my experience. So for now my laptop is going to stay with
> Fedora 14 install until I can gain some confidence installing Fedora 15
> on my Desktop.
>
> cpp4ever

Having more then one drive can be a problem, depending on if the
drive mapping is the same when you boot from a CD/DVD as when you
boot from a hard drive. It can also be a problem with a yum upgrade
if the Grub drive map does not match your system.

I have seen the first stage boot loader get installed to the wrong
drive, and I have seen the first stage look for the next stage on
the wrong drive.

It would help to know if you get the Grub menu screen and then it
gets stuck, or if you can not even get to the Grub menu screen.

Mikkel