Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Mon May 30 22:03:26 UTC 2011

On 30 May 2011 22:30, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930
<n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 at ntlworld.com> wrote:
> On 30/05/11 20:46, Joe Zeff wrote:
>> On 05/30/2011 12:28 PM, n2xssvv.g02gfr12930 wrote:
>>> Easy for you to say when you don't have the problem, and I wish you
>>> never have a similar problem. Then I'd be interested to see your
>>> response. In the meant time please see my other posts.
>>
>> I've had problems with upgrades, installations and updates a few times.
>>   Each time I did, I started out with the presumption that the trouble
>> was at my end, and not a system-wide failure of the distro in question.
>>   Not once was I forced to change that assumption.  And, because I
>> didn't start out by channeling Chicken Little, I was able to get all the
>> help I needed in a prompt and timely manor.  HTH, HAND.
>
> Well, I could say the same, but this problem is an order of magnitude
> more complicated than anything I have experienced using Fedora in 8+
> years, is that chicken little?. Although some of the other responses
> have made clear that some important underlying changes have been made
> Fedora 14 -> 15, and any one of these could be the cause of my problem.
> Therefore I cautiously recommend a fresh install of Fedora 15, rather
> than trying a yum update, (which was my original warning), and this
> makes updating my laptop a much more time consuming process. Your name
> calling, whether it be Chicken Little, Hysteria, or whatever, certainly
> doesn't help, or inspire confidence. Especially as you may well find
> yourself with a similar order of magnitude type problem, and face
> similar responses.

I still don't see you outlining your problem, other than it doesn't
boot. What doesn't boot, what have you treid to remedy this, what
troubleshooting steps have you followed, what appears on the screen.
These simple bits of information might help us to help you. What
you've said so far lacks technical details and contains a surfeit of
hyperbole. Hence the reception you are getting.

The world isn't ending, youe computer just isn't working and you don't
know how to fix it yourself. Help us to help you...

--
Sam