Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! [OT]

Mark Eggers mdeggers at gmail.com
Tue May 31 04:17:42 UTC 2011

On Mon, 30 May 2011 19:56:02 -0700, Joe Zeff wrote:

> On 05/30/2011 07:49 PM, Mark Eggers wrote:
>> If not, then I will have to wait until NVidia fixes their drivers
>> (again).
>
> Or, you can uninstall the binary blob, and follow the instructions here
> to install akmond-nvidia and be done with it once and for all:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=204752

My understanding of this is as follows:

1. It's a repackaging of the NVidia binary blobs that does the following:

a) Adds this to the yum/rpm database
b) Avoids certain libraries getting replaced by other rpm packages

2. The driver may be a few revisions behind NVidia's current driver

3. Occasionally the driver release lags kernel releases by a few days

So unless the maintainers hack the proprietary code to address the bugs
I've previously mentioned, the only advantages are:

1. I don't have to rebuild the kernel module by hand
2. I don't have to reinstall when an update overwrites some libraries
3. It's in the rpm / yum database

None of those seem to address the two (most likely NVidia) bugs. It also
makes testing beta and legacy drivers more difficult when trying to work
around these and other bugs.

I have no problems rebuilding kernel modules.

If the rpms have specific solutions for Fedora compatibility beyond ease
of packaging / installation, then that would be welcome news indeed. All
of my reading so far indicates that this is not the case.

I would be happy to be shown incorrect.

. . . . just my two cents.

/mde/