Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

Timothy Murphy gayleard at eircom.net
Tue May 31 09:58:32 UTC 2011

Alex wrote:

> So to confirm, what is the preferred method to upgrade? I usually update
> daily, so in F14 most likely I'd have the latest and greatest updates when
> I decided to move to F15. Do I just  need to bite the bullet and do a
> clean install? On a clean install is it safe to keep your /home partition
> and only update the / partition?

I always keep separate /home and /boot partitions.
This has occasionally caused minor problems in the past,
but Fedora-14 to Fedora-15 was the simplest upgrade I remember.
I did both fresh install and upgrade, and both worked
without a single problem on very different computers.

I always keep Fedora up-to-date, and have never had any problem from this.
I'm sure the suggestion that you shouldn't update
if you are going to upgrade is misguided.
How long before an upgrade are you supposed to stop updating?

Nowadays I always keep a spare partition for a new installation
if I have enough space.
The installation always creates a new grub.conf but it saves the old
and I just add this to the new one (deleting duplicate material).

Incidentally, isn't it time the Fedora developers
gave up this passion for DVDs?
Does anyone burn DVDs to install Fedora today?
Half the new machines I see don't have DVD drives anyway.
Surely everyone has a big enough USB stick?
Why not be honest, and take that as the default?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net