Yum update from Fedora 14 -> 15 WARNING! UPDATE

Sam Sharpe lists.redhat at samsharpe.net
Tue May 31 18:09:29 UTC 2011

On 31 May 2011 18:33, Joe Zeff <joe at zeff.us> wrote:
> On 05/31/2011 02:58 AM, Timothy Murphy wrote:
>> Incidentally, isn't it time the Fedora developers
>> gave up this passion for DVDs?
>> Does anyone burn DVDs to install Fedora today?
>> Half the new machines I see don't have DVD drives anyway.
>> Surely everyone has a big enough USB stick?
>> Why not be honest, and take that as the default?
>>

> Not everybody has a brand-new machine.  Not everybody even has one that
> can boot off of USB.  I can remember when Fedora stopped providing a CD
> version and I didn't have a DVD drive.  (Nor, I might add, the money to
> buy one because they were still quite expensive.)  I had to find a
> third-party website that had broken the DVD up into CDs.  Just because
> you don't like DVDs doesn't mean that they (and CDs) aren't still
> important to a large fraction of Fedora users.

I think you'll find Timothy said "take that as the default", not "stop
releasing the DVD version". I for one would like more prominence to
the USB image and methods of creating it on the Fedora install pages,
just because a tleast two of the machines I generally install it on
don't have a CD/DVD drive (all of our Office machines lack them).

--
Sam