Was inn tested for F15

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Tue May 31 20:39:27 UTC 2011

Rahul Sundaram wrote:
> On 05/29/2011 07:49 PM, Bill Davidsen wrote:
>> There is a benefit to cleaning out the lock files, but there is a definite
>> problem to cleaning out everything, since the directory structure is needed to
>> support the lockfiles. Having the program create the structure is possible, but:
>> - it moves complexity from the install to the program
>> - it means more code needs to be added to check that the app is actually
>>     installed at all
>> - it is one more distribution sensitive thing to add to config
>
> It doesn't have to be any of this as referenced from the feature
> proposal.  Just in case, you didn't read it.
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Tmpfiles.d

The page you note has a big warning that it doesn't work in EPEL and FC<15. How
does that address the distribution dependent feature issue?

Fedora has limited manpower. By save/restore of the directory structure no one
has to go into the original package and change anything. Less work for
maintainers, reduce or eliminate the possibility that something will not get
modified until it breaks, etc.

A proposed solution which makes it easy to do unnecessary work on every
application is not an optimal solution compared to "we changed it, we will avoid
breaking applications and make it work."

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>